Ways to Protect Yourself from Identity Theft
Hackers can now break into your credit card details with which they may either make an unauthorized use out of it or even open a new account with your present rating. It is difficult to find hackers, but if you calculate your steps, you may well prevent the problem. Here, are some of the points you need to take care.
Be Very Careful while Disposing Important Documents
Before throwing any financial document think like a thief, to see if the document has some useful information that can cause the identity theft. While disposing off your bills, or statements, receipts or even solicitations do not forget to destroy them.
- Shred them, especially your financial statements, and medical bills. It is even better have a crisscross shredder for your credit card documents.
- Do not throw any document on the way. Bring everything home and then destroy it.
- Losing your documents from the mailbox is also extremely common incidence and so you must be careful to maintain a locking system in your mailbox. A device installed would tell you when your mailbox was last operated.
Be Very Particular About Your Financial and Banking Records
Financial diligence can help you in protecting banking and brokerage accounts. So, keep a close vigilance on your bank account transaction. Always be aware of it in a daily basis so that in case there is any unauthorized transaction then you will come to know immediately.
- In case you note any undue charges or withdrawal from your account, call the authorities informed. In all the banks, there is a facility of a text message as soon as there is a transaction in your account. Surely, avail it!
- Another factor that needs to be shed light on is that if you see that suddenly your mailing identity has been changed without your onset, you need to know that there has been an attempt of hijacking your account. Beware and immediately notify the authorities.
- Keep your checkbooks in safe custody especially your blank checks. Some banks even have opportunities like security freeze. This enables you to freeze your statements and documents as soon as they are generated. You will have the right to access it and nobody else. However, this comes with a fee but still it is worthwhile.
Follow these Steps to Manage Important Documents
- Protect your information by opting out in the first hand. For example, if you have been approved a credit card and you do not want it then in the mere beginning tell them that you do not need it.
- Direct Marketing Association is a portal that helps you to get rid of any spam and junk mail. Handling the financial documents via this is an excellent way of being safe.
- Again, have a distinctive password that cannot be readily divulged. Instead of storing, those in your computer or wallet store them in your memory and the paper document in your locker.
- While you get rid of an old computer, check for all the files that are paramount and after getting rid of the files, get rid of the computer. Your hard drive must be free from any important document.
The ‘Do not-s’
Here, is a list of practices that people often fall prey to and gives an invitation to Identity theft. Often people in the same house can gain an unauthorized hold of your account. Do not be in the habit of saving the passwords in the computers, even if it belongs to your home use. Beware of phishing mails that look from your bank or even the cell phone company and ask for personal information. No company will ask such pertinent documents to be passed on over the mail. Do not also keep your Social Security Card in your wallet. It is better been stored away in the locker.
Shopping online is the current trend and while doing so purchase only on extremely secured sites. Always look for “https” in the address bar.
By following these guidelines, you can certainly protect yourself from identity theft, as it is a growing problem and you must be beware of it!
This guest post has been authored by Prashant Sharma who recommends SellCell to sell old cell phones for money. He also recommends old iPhone users to sell iphone for cash and grab the latest iPhone 4S.
Leave a comment